Retro Unboxing - Puma Icana FG

Retro Unboxing - Puma Icana FG
The Puma Icana is a boot that I had the takedown model of as a kid when first starting out in football. I was trailing through football boot websites the other day and stumbled upon these on Lovell Soccer for £19.99 and because it was the boots I had as a child (apart from these being the top model) I had to get them. The boots were first released in 2002 I believe and were worn most noticeably by El Hadji Diouf who was at Liverpool at the time. 

The fit of these boots is good although it is slightly long in the toebox, but nothing that is uncomfortable or alarming. I could go down half a size to a 7 and these would fit more snug but I'd prefer to stick with these which are a 7.5 as i like the roomier fit. The boot feels nice to wear and there is a bit of bulk to the upper but you feel like it would protect your feet rather than get in the way.
 

The upper is made up of 2 or 3 different materials. The first is a kind of mesh/fabric material which is hard and stiff at first but after walking around the house in these for an hour softened up and is quite flexible. The second material is a what I assume is a synthetic leather that is the black parts of the upper and also the large Puma formstripe that runs across the upper. I also think that white back part of the boot is the same material but it could be a lower quality leather.

The tongue is made of the same materials as the the upper, being the meshy synthetic and the synthetic leather. The boot also includes an internal heal counter and across the heal area has some grippy plastic strips over the leather.

The soleplate of the Icana is made of a plastic and features Pumas DUOFLEX technology. The soleplate has a unique pattern on it which looks like it would be a pain to clean, something I will find out in the future once I've played in them. The studs themselves look to be rounded but are however almost a blade. The top of the stud is a blade and as it goes down, there is a cross design that attaches it to the soleplate, i would say because of this it is a bladed stud pattern. There are 7 studs and 1 support stud at the forefoot and there are 4 studs in the heal area of the soleplate. 


This is a boot that I am looking forwards to wearing and hoping it brings back many memories.
Thanks for reading, ThatCoultasGuy. 

Comments